Halloween on the Square
Saturday, October 26th, 2013
Court Square, Downtown Harrisonburg
Wander down Main Street on a crisp autumn morning with your little ghosts and goblins. Enjoy holiday festivities, including games, costume contests, trick-or-treating and more!
Schedule of Events:
- Spooky tunes by DJ Neals Barkley
- Face Painting by Larkin Arts
- MedExpress "Build-Your-Own First-Aid Kit" Station
- Balloon Animals
- Storytime with The Gus Bus
- You Made it! Clay Play Station
- Caricature Drawings
- Witches Brew by Hess Orthopaedics
- Paint on Canvas with Arts Council of the Valley & Artery
- Cupcake Decorating by The Cupcake Company
- Shaving Cream Art by JMU Alpha Chi Sigma Professional Chemistry Fraternity
- Themed Dances by the Shenandoah Contemporary Dance Theater ("Thriller" + "Crypt Pickers")
- Carnival Games by Explore More Discovery Museum
11:30AM: Kids' Costume Contest (newborn to 13 years of age)
Come dressed in costume and register your little ones for the kids' contest. Register by 11:15am at the information tent.
12:00PM: Digico's Howl-o-ween Doggie Contest
Bring your furry best friend and have them participate in the fun too. Register your pet for the doggie contest by 11:45am at the information tent. All leashed, well-behaved dogs and their owners are welcome!
Noon - 2:00pm: Trick-or-Treating
30+ downtown locations will open their doors to trick-or-treaters, from Noon to 2:00 p.m. (*Trick-or-Treating will not be available prior to this time). Pick up a candy map at the information tent on Court Square to plan your route. Then, look for the orange balloons outside of participating stores downtown.
Candy maps and trick-or-treat bags are also available at the Hardesty Higgins House Visitor Center (212 South Main Street).
It's Halloween on the Square for your pets. Your doggies will enjoy doggie treats, bobbing for hot dogs and costume contests just for them.
"Muttsters Mash" Pet Station
The Rockingham/Harrisonburg SPCA will have a selection of adoptable dogs at the event. You will have a chance to meet them before watching them “show off” in the doggie costume contest.
- Cost: Free community festival
- Parking: Parking is available in public parking garages on Water St. and Elizabeth St.
- Street Closures: Court Square will be closed from Capital Ale house to Bank of America from 8am to 2pm. Graham Street will remain open to traffic
- Merchants of Historic Downtown Harrisonburg
- Digico Post | Shoot | Design
- Explore More Discovery Museum
- Arts Council of the Valley
- Safe Kids Central Shenandoah Valley
- Larkin Arts
- Rockingham/Harrisonburg SPCA
- Glen's Fair Price Store
- Dragonflies Toys
- Blue Ridge Dog
- Harrisonburg Farmers Market | 7am - 1pm
Vendors, Pumpkin Painting + More
- Friendly City Food Co-op | 10am - 2pm
Free popcorn, Fair Trade Chocolate + Pumpkin Painting
Guess the Giant Pumpkin Weight to win the giant pumpkin (all month long)
- Playful Puppets Show at the Main Library Branch of the Massanutten Regional Library | 1pm
- Rocktown Bites! Food Tour | 2pm
"Goons, Goblins, and Grub" Halloween Kid-Themed Tour
- Haunted Harrisonburg Ghost Tours
Fri. Oct. 4 | 9pm
Sat. Oct. 19 | 9pm
Sa. Oct 25 | 9 pm
Sat. Oct. 26 | 9pm
Thu. Oct. 31 | 9 pm
Enjoy a one-hour walking tour of Harrisonburg’s usually unseen residents. Hear tales of ghosts and hauntings. Cost $10/adults, $5/children 10 and under, $8/groups of 10+
Call to make a reservation! 540-315-GOUL (4685)
For more information, contact Kim Kirk at firstname.lastname@example.org